Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life Lessons in Picture Books

Psychology Today recently published this article, The Value of a Picture Book, about life lessons kids get from picture books. Nothing new here for most of us, but I really liked that the article has a couple of different approaches to the life lessons and how picture books embody them. Some books recommended include the quality as a part of the story, and some books bring out that quality as part of the experience of reading.


Keith Schoch said...

Thanks for this link! That's an interesting article (although, as you said, it's nothing new for those of us "in the know"). Still, I know of several teachers and blog readers who would love to see this. I plan to repost, and I'll be sure to give your site a shout out as the source!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Experience of reading is my big thing. I read with my kids... novels, picture books, non fiction... and they remember the stories, but mostly they remember how it felt to be together reading them.