Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Trailer

Okay, you guys, I know this has totally been the Where the Wild Things Are Movie Blog of late, so this time I'm posting about . . . another book-to-movie adaptation. Oy. I need to start reading books again.

Anyhoo, here's the trailer for the upcoming Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I can't embed because YouTube won't let me, but follow the link.

I remember this book well from childhood. In fact, it was my brother's favorite. (That same brother is now a meteorologist. Coincidence? I think not.) Hamburgers falling from the sky? Grape-juice rain? Awesome.

Having established my love for the original, I gotta say, uh, I kinda hate this trailer. From what I can tell, the movie is going to bear about a 25% resemblance to the book--too far to be satisfying as an adaptation, too close to go "Heck with it, let's just call it something else and pretend we've never seen the book in our lives."

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm right. What do you guys think?

Thanks to EarlyWord for the heads-up.

1 comment:

K said...

I agree! For the first part of the trailer, I thought they weren't even going to follow the book at all! I'm an elementary librarian now, but when I was a second grade teacher we ended our weather unit with this book. We even threw (completely wrapped and sealed) breakfast out the windows. The kids loved it!